Jobs, Internships, Contract Attorneys, and Volunteers
MSPD OFFICES ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC BECAUSE OF COVID-19 HEALTH EMERGENCY
Missouri State Public Defender Staff is continuing to work and represent clients during the Covid-19 health emergency. Our offices, however, are closed to protect our clients and staff from Covid-19.
If you need assistance please call or email your local office. Leave your name and a phone number and your phone call or e-mail will be returned.
If you need to apply for services, you can now do so through our new online application. If you would like a paper application, you can leave a message by phone or e-mail providing your full name, address and case number if known. You may also download an application from the How to Apply for Services page and send that application to your local office.
Court dates for most cases have been cancelled and not yet rescheduled. Check Case.Net at http://www.courts.mo.gov/ to find your next court date. Please check case.net on a weekly basis to obtain your next court date as court dates are changing on a daily basis as a result of Covid-19.
Recent News Articles
- Kansas City Star: Missouri lawmakers: public defender system failing, but search for funds a challenge (November 25, 2019)
- Kansas City Star: With overloaded Missouri public defenders, you only get a ‘sliver of an attorney’ (November 20, 2019)
- Kansas City Star: Before their day in court, poor people charged with crimes can spend years in jail (November 20, 2019)
- Kansas City Star: Missouri judge says: Represent yourself in court or plead guilty to save time (November 20, 2019)
- Kansas City Star: Public defenders ordered to violate ethics to keep defendants moving through court (November 20, 2019)
- +3 more from the Kansas City Star
MSPD’s goal is to provide every client with zealous advocacy
The Missouri State Public Defender System (MSPD) provides legal representation to all indigent citizens accused of or convicted of crimes in Missouri at the levels of the State Trial Court, Appellate Court, Missouri Supreme Court, and United States Supreme Court.
MSPD attempts to provide every client with a high-quality, competent, ardent defense team at every stage of the process in which public defenders are necessary. The team is led by a licensed Missouri attorney devoted full-time to the practice of criminal law.