Temporary Missouri License/UBE Score Transfer

Temporary Missouri License

If you are licensed in another state, you may be eligible for a temporary Missouri license. You may practice law in Missouri while your application for Missouri bar admission is pending. There are several conditions with this rule, including, but not necessarily limited to:

  • You must have filed an application for admission in Missouri pursuant to Rule 8.07 (admission with bar exam), Rule 8.10 (admission without exam), or Rule 8.105 (limited admission as in-house counsel); AND,
  • You must not have previously failed the Missouri bar examination; AND,
  • You must be an active member in good standing of the highest court of a state or territory of the United States; AND
  • You must not be under suspension or disbarment by any court of record or the subject of any pending disciplinary complaints.

Supreme Court Rule 8.06 outlines the specific requirements for obtaining the temporary license. You can contact the Missouri Board of Law Examiners at (573) 751-9814 or visit their website for further information about this provision.

You may apply for current attorney vacancies if you are eligible for the temporary license. Your employment as an attorney is contingent upon receipt of the temporary license. Continued employment is then contingent upon receipt of your permanent Missouri license.

UBE Score Transfer

The Missouri Board of Law Examiners will accept a UBE score earned in another UBE jurisdiction if the scaled total score is at least 260 and was attained on a UBE administered within five years preceding the date the application to Missouri is properly submitted. Get more information about UBE transferring guidelines specific to Missouri at the Missouri Board of Law Examiners website page, “UBE Transfer—General Information”

If you are interested in transferring your certified UBE score to Missouri you will need to: 1. Request an official UBE score transcript and 2. Pay a separate fee with National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE). Check out the NCBE website for minimum scores and maximum score age by state.